LEAKY GUT SYNDROME: WAYS TO HEAL
The most up to date theory states that the intestinal barrier largely determines whether we tolerate or react to toxic substances we ingest. (Food sensitivities, anyone?) The breach of the intestinal barrier (leaky gut) by food toxins like gluten and chemicals like arsenic or BPA causes an immune response which affects the gut and other organs and tissues, including the skeletal system, pancreas, kidneys, liver, and brain.
The point? YOU DON’T HAVE TO HAVE GUT SYMPTOMS TO HAVE A LEAKY GUT.
Leaky gut can manifest as a variety of conditions, including:
* Skin disorders, such as eczema and psoriasis
* Cardiovascular conditions
* Autoimmune diseases, such as Hashimoto’s or rheumatoid arthritis
* Mental illness & behavioral disorders
… & more
Leaky gut paired with bad gut flora (which go hand in hand) are common due to our modern lifestyle. Anyone who has leaky gut will have chronic inflammation, and with inflammation comes fatigue, brain fog, and depression.
If disease begins in the gut, the goal is to heal the gut.
* Remove toxins from environment & diet (overhaul your life), including all wheat-containing grains, refined carbs, and alcohol
* Eat fermentable fibers and foods, rich with multi-species probiotic
* Treat intestinal pathogens
* Manage stress (Acupuncture, anyone? Meditation is great too!)
Info from Chris Kresser